How to get a forklift licence in Australia – FAQ’s
Choosing the right forklift driving course
Not all forklift driving courses are the same. Before enrolling in a course a little research on the company needs to be done to ensure you are getting what you require from the course they offer. Some courses cost more than others for a reason, whether it is a reason that benefits you is what you need to find out prior to enrolling.
Questions you should ask your course provider
- Are you certified?
- What specific machinery is the course targeted at?
- How many years has the program been running?
- What is your average pass rate?
- How many people are usually in the course at once? (class size)
- What is your training environment like? (Try to simulate your own workplace)
- How much will it cost to resit the test if I fail and when can I do it?
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the prerequisites of getting a forklift licence?
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You need to have a basic understanding of the English Language (verbal & non-verbal)
- At the test you will need 100 points of identification (e.g. passport, drivers licence, birth certificate, proof of address)
Types of licences: LF or LO?
- LF: permits you to operate any forklift (with the exception of an order picker/stock picker forklift)
- LO: permits you to ONLY operate an order picker/stock picker forklift
What is the duration of the course?
Courses can vary according to your needs and whether you are completely new to forklifts or just need a refresher course. Courses include:
- 1 day forklift course: Appropriate for experienced drivers who already understand the basics of forklift driving; often used for refreshing skills and improving workplace safety.
- 2 day forklift course: This type of course is for beginners with little to no understanding of operating a forklift.
How much does a course cost?
Pricing will vary depending on the course provider. Here is our pricing:
- 1 Day course is $450.00 + the WorkSafe licence fee
- 2 Day course is $550.00 + the WorkSafe licence fee
These courses include the learners book, and are GST exempt.
What should I wear to the training course?
It is suggested that you wear clothes that you are comfortable in. It might be a good idea to wear the clothes that you would typically wear within your workplace, so you learn in a similar environment. Also a requirement is that you wear closed toe shoes and a high vis safety vest (usually provided) for health and safety reasons.
I am ready to enroll in a forklift driver training course. What should I do next?
- Do your research (online, ask co-workers and other companies)
- Call up to the training provider ask a set of questions (refer to “Questions you should ask your course provider”)
- Book the next course available
How much can I expect to earn as a forklift operator?
According to Payscale.com forklift operators in Australia earn between $17.20-$22.33 per hour with overtime averaging $27.22-$34.39 per hour. Total annual paying starting at $37,274-$49,953 and bonus averaging from $305.21-$1,965.
How can I prepare for my forklift licence?
Ensure you read a forklift driver manual, and be sure to read our basic driver tips and hints. Answer the questions at the back of the book to practise. Ask your course provider for their forklift driver manual and practice questions as every training course will have different tests and different questions.
Training courses normally include a 72 question written exam. Make sure you practise the theoretical part before getting to the course.
How long does forklift licence last?
Forklift licence must be renewed every 5 years.
Do I have to pay to renew my forklift Licence?
Take a passport quality photo, money to pay the renewal fee and 100 points of ID to your local Australia Post outlet and fill out the appropriate renewal form. This must be done within the 5 years that the licence is valid.