Forklift Selection – Choosing the Right Forklift for Your Business
Choosing the right forklift is important for your business. It affects everything from operation costs, productivity, employee morale and stock management.
There are a large range of forklifts, and each one is designed to be used for specific jobs.
So how do you know what type you need for your business?
There are several important factors to consider when choosing the right forklift:
Your business environment will influence the type of forklift, tyre selection and fuel type. Consider the floor surface and conditions the forklift will be working in:
- Smooth or rough surfaces?
- Inside, outdoors or both?
- How many hours per day will the forklift be used?
2. Load Size / Capacity
It would be a big mistake to choose a forklift with a maximum lift capacity that is below your requirements. It is important to look at:
- What stock will the forklift be handling?
- What is your average load weight?
- What is the heaviest load you need to lift?
- What is the width of your loads?
The type of load also matters as there are specific forklift attachments that can enhance a standard forklift and help you move the load more efficiently. There are many types of attachments available: appliance clamps, carton clamps, paper roll clamps, etc.
Sideshift is another feature which will allow you to move any load left and right, without having to move the truck. This allows for more accurate load placements.
Similar to maximum load, you want to ensure you choose a forklift which will meet your height restrictions.
- What is your typical lift height?
- What is the highest point the forklift needs to reach?
- Are there any height restrictions to consider? (eg: ceiling beams or low hanging lights)
You must also take into consideration the collapsed height of the mast, if you require the forklift to move underneath a fixed height structure (eg: a garage or container door).
Also check your warehouse height and aisle width requirements, as this will greatly assist you in finding the right unit.
4. Fuel type
There are three types of fuel options – electric, gas or diesel.
Electric forklifts will cost more initially, but you will reap the rewards over time as they have a longer life span and cheaper consumption compared to other types of forklifts. They also operate very quietly and produce no emissions, therefore are recommended for working indoors or in cold climates.
Gas or diesel forklifts can lift much bigger loads and move faster. Diesel forklifts are strongly recommended if the forklift will be used for heavy lifting or outdoors.
With gas forklifts you have the choice of LPG or CNG – both are quick to refuel and have a long lifespan.
5. Tyre selection
There are various types of tyres available for forklifts. The most common are solid or pneumatic, but there are also white non-marking tyres and cushioned tyres – each with their own specific use and suited to certain environments.
Choosing the right tyres will impact on your forklift’s handling and safety.
For more information, see our Forklift Tyres Guide.
High quality adjustable seating is important as forklift operators are sitting in their machines for hours at a time.
Investing in quality ergonomics will lessen the likelihood of injuries, such as back pain, which can be caused by repetitive tasks performed in uncomfortable seating.
7. New, Used or Hire?
The hours your forklift will do each week will help determine your best option but each option has its own pros and cons.
- Used Forklifts – Reduced upfront cost. Under 10 Hour per week usage this could be a good option but breakdowns / servicing costs will be higher.
- New Forklifts – Higher upfront cost. New can be a good option for both low weekly usage and high weekly usage. Lower breakdowns and servicing costs.
- Forklift Hire – Low up front cost. One of the key advantages of hiring is conserving cash for other core business operations.
Buy or rent forklifts today
Get in touch with Adaptalift if you’re looking to hire or rent forklifts for your business. Our team only supplies leading models so you can work with complete confidence at all times. We also have a wide range of new forklifts for sale and used forklifts for sale. Contact us to find out more.